Mother’s Day Dish: Grilled Chicken & Roasted Pepper Slaw
Mother’s Day is just around the corner, and we have the perfect recipe to treat Mom to a fantastic meal on her day: Grilled Chicken Breast with Roasted Red Pepper Slaw. This delicious recipe checks all the marks: flavorful, healthy, full of vibrant colors, and filling without being too heavy. Double the batch for easy lunches or dinners for the family.
The Roasted Red Pepper Slaw can be served warm or cold. Serve Grilled Chicken Breast with Roasted Red Pepper Slaw on top of Mom’s favorite rice or quinoa to round out the meal.
Grilled Chicken Breast with Roasted Red Pepper Slaw Serves 2 Prep Time: 4 hours Cook Time: 20 mins Total Time: 4 hours, 20 mins
Ingredients: 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar 2 Tbsp. olive oil 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped (or 1 tsp. dried) 1 Tbsp. water 2 skinless chicken breasts 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place balsamic vinegar, olive oil, basil, water and onions in a sealable bag. Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Flatten chicken with a mallet or rolling pin.
- Add chicken to the sealable bag and mix until chicken is covered with marinade.
- Seal the bag, pressing out excess air. Let marinate in fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Turn grill on high. Season grill with oil or butter.
- Remove the chicken from bag and set marinade aside. Place chicken on the grill. Leave the grill open and cook until the edges of chicken start to turn white. Flip over.
- Remove chicken from grill when juices start to collect on top.
- While the chicken is cooking, put the remainder of the marinade in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and cook for about 2 minutes, or until reduced slightly.
- Place chicken on a plate. Top with the cooked marinade and season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Roasted Red Pepper Slaw.
Roasted Red Pepper Slaw 1 red pepper, cut into 3" long thin strips 1 orange pepper, cut into 3" long thin strips 1 yellow pepper, cut into 3" long thin strips 2 Tbsp. olive oil 1 clove garlic, minced Sea salt and pepper 3 cups kale, chopped 1 green onion, chopped
Dressing: 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar 3 Tbsp. plain yogurt 1 tsp. mustard 1 tsp. maple syrup Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put the peppers in a baking dish. Add olive oil and garlic, a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Toss.
- Place the peppers in the oven and bake 20 minutes or until softened. Remove peppers from oven and transfer to a medium bowl, scraping the baking dish so that all the oil is transferred to the bowl. Add kale and green onion.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Add dressing to pepper/kale mixture. Toss and let sit for a few minutes to soften the kale. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
For more recipe ideas for Mom, check out our Mother’s Day Dishes pinboard. Watch us grow and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.