Baked, breaded eggplant is worth the effort. The combination of the crisp eggplant, sliced tomatoes and poached eggs make it the perfect breakfast. Eggplant can be breaded and baked the night before to save time.
What You'll Need
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Cut the eggplant into slices about 1/2 inch thick. Lightly salt the slices and stack on a plate and let sit for an hour.
- Mix together the egg and 1 tsp water in a small bowl. In another bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, flour, oregano, sea salt and pepper.
- Drain and dry the eggplant slices with paper towel. Dip the slices in the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure slices are well coated on both sides.
- Place on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until brown. Flip over and bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Place the slices on a plate. Top with a slice of tomato and serve with poached eggs.
To poach the eggs: Bring water to a boil. Gently crack an egg and place it in a small bowl. Gently place in the boiling water and cook for 4-5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon.
Tip: Spice it up by serving with your favorite hot sauce such as Sriracha sauce.
You may also be interested in...
King Crab with a Tomato, Sweet Pepper, Cucumber Emulsion
We love mixing flavors and textures, and this recipe is no exception. We’ve got King Crab with tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet bell peppers, honey, lemon juice, dill and Greek yogurt. This dish is sure to appeal to your senses.
Skill level: Hard