Savory muffins are a great addition to any meal or can be made and frozen ahead of time to be available as a quick snack. Aged cheddar cheese, red peppers, honey and fresh parsley combine to make a tasty treat.
What You'll Need
- Chop the red pepper and place in paper towel to drain the liquid off.
- Peel the avocado and separate all the meat from the pit. Put the butter or coconut oil, avocado and honey or sugar into a mixing bowl and mix at high speed until it is smooth.
- Mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and chili powder together. Blend flour mixture and half the avocado mixture, until there are no flour lumps remaining.
- Next blend the egg and lemon juice to the mixture.
- Stir in the onion, cheese and red peppers.
- Grease a 12-cavity muffin pan with butter or coconut oil. Lightly flour the cavities. Parchment paper muffins liners can be used instead of greasing the cavities.
- Scoop the batter evenly in 10 to 12 even portions. Bake at 325 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until the muffin springs back to the touch.
To roast a red pepper: Cut the red pepper in half and remove the seeds. Flatten the two pieces of red pepper and place on a tray. Put the tray under the broiler and blacken the skin. Let cool and peel off the skin. Use as directed in the recipe.
Tip: If you want more red pepper flavour, chop half a raw red pepper and add to the mixture. Roasted red peppers create a lot of liquid and this can cause the muffins to sink in the middle if too much is added.
You may also be interested in...